Current Concepts in Periodontics and Cracking the Code for Periodontics
Event ID: P12273
Info: Aug 9 • Thu • 8:30am-3:30pm • 1 mtg • Campus Center Ballroom, 2465 Campus Road, 3rd floor (see UHM map) • park in lower campus parking structure • $75 (Dentist, Dental Hygienist, or Dental Assistant), $25 (UH School of Dental Hygiene student) • Registration & withdrawal deadline is noon July 26 • Upon completion of attendance, 6 hours CE credit may be arranged with Hawaii Dental Service
With: Dr Jon Suzuki, Dr Robert Sherman
In this professional development workshop, Dr Suzuki will give morning presentations on:
- Clinical and microscopic anatomy (Periodontics 101: reacquaintance with the normal anatomy of the periodontium, both clinical and microscopic).
- Progression from health to disease (Do you see it or is it cloaked in invisibility?): Etiology, histopathology, inflammatory/ immune response.
- Detective work-assembling the clues: risk factors plaque/ biofilm initiation, colonization, development, maturation; contributing factors; repair/ regeneration/disease progression.
- Periodontal disease: AAP classification and correlation to other medical conditions.
Lunch break features the opportunity to view a DVD on the History of Dental Hygiene Education in Hawai‘i. After the break, Dr Robert Sherman will speak about insurance codes.
Dr Suzuki will then speak about:
- Developing better communication with the patient; if applicable, referring dentist(s), and insurers; and the exhilaration when envisioning outcomes.
- Maintenance of alveolar health and readiness for other procedures such as implant placement, etc.
- Non-surgical periodontal therapies: OH, ultrasonic, S/RP, local antibiotic therapies, Rx periostat, antimicrobials.
- Surgical periodontal therapies: resection, regenerations, laser use.
- Implantology and site preparation, treatment planning.
WITHDRAWAL POLICY: Notification of withdrawal must be submitted in writing to the Outreach College via email to email@example.com by 12:00 noon on Friday, July 26. Fee will be refunded only for cancellations received by this deadline. Please allow 6-8 weeks after August 9, 2012 for processing.
Dr Jon B Suzuki, DDS, PhD, MBA, FACD, FICD, is a professor of Microbiology and Immunology and chair of the Department of Periodontology and Oral Implantology at the Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. He was previously dean of the School of Dental Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh and chief of Hospital Dentistry, UPMC Presbyterian University Hospital. He is a current panel member and immediate past chairman of the Food and Drug Administration Dental Products Panel. He is on the faculty of the US Navy National Naval Medical Command and holds professorships at Nova Southeastern University, FL, the Univesity of Maryland, MD, and Maimonides University, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Dr Suzuki is a fellow of the American and International College of Dentists, a specialist microbiologist of the American College of Microbiology, a diplomate and board examiner of the International Congress of Oral Implantology, and a diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. He is the executive secretary/ treasurer of the Supreme Chapter of Omicron Kappa Upsilon, the national Honorary Dental Society. Dr Suzuki’s honors include being named “Alumnus of the Year”, Loyola University of Chicago, “Alumnus of the Year”, Illinois Wesleyan University, “Recognized Alumnus in Biological Sciences”, Illinois Institute of Technology, and “Faculty of the Year”, University of Maryland. Dr Suzuki has placed first in the Orban Prize Competition of the American Academy of Periodontology, and in the ADA/Dentsply SCADA Table Clinic Competition.
Dr Suzuki has published over 150 papers, chapters, and symposia, 200 abstracts, and one textbook in Medical Technology.
Dr Robert G Sherman, DMD is dental director for Hawaii Dental Service.
Add to Calendar