Skip to main content

International Students

The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa – a campus of culturally diverse students welcomes you with ALOHA!

Studying in the United States can yield different learning experiences and Hawaiʻi has a uniqueness all its own. You can study on our vibrant campus during the day, participate in diverse cultural activities on campus and in the community, and explore many scenic areas nearby.

Important information for International Students

Application Requirements
Visa & I-20 Information
Health Insurance
Other International Programs

Application Requirements

If English is not your native language and you have never attended a regular term (fall or spring) at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, we evaluate your English skills before you are admitted. Please send a document to Outreach College Student Services that verifies one of the following.

  1. Submit test scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a composite score of 500+ (paper-based), 61+ (internet), or 173+ (computer-based) taken within the last two years.

    To learn about on-campus TOEFL testing opportunities contact the UH-Mānoa Testing office at (808) 956-3454. For up-to-date world-wide TOEFL testing information, view the TOEFL website; call: (609) 771-7100; fax: (609) 771-7500; email:; or write to: TOEFL/TSE Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151.

  2. Submit test scores for the UH Mānoa English Language Institute (ELI) placement examination indicating that you qualified for enrollment.

  3. Submit other documentation and request waiver of the English Language requirement:

    • a score of 460 or higher on the verbal section of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE);

    • a score of 510 or higher on the Critical Reading AND Writing sections of the SAT exam;

    • an overall score of 5.0 on the IELTS;

    • A score of 22 or higher on the English AND Reading sections of the ACT;

    • a college or university transcript(s) showing you have completed 60 transferable semester credits with a GPA of 2.0+ from a university whose academic standing is recognized by the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and where English is the primary language of instruction;

    • a transcript(s) showing you completed 6 years of full-time schooling with English as the medium of instruction at a middle school, high school, college, or university in American Samoa, Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Guam, Ireland, New Zealand or the United States;

    • a college or university transcript or diploma indicating you have a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited university in the U.S. or a recognized university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States.

    Send the appropriate document(s) with your application form. If this is not possible, send transcripts or grade reports separately as needed to:

    Outreach College Student Services
    University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
    2440 Campus Rd, Box 447
    Honolulu, HI 96822

    View more Contact Information.

Important Visa and I-20 Information

Contact the nearest U.S. embassy in your country for visa information. Regulations are constantly being changed; the U.S. Embassy will have the most current information available. They will advise you of the proper documents needed to travel to Hawai‘i.

I-20 Request

Due to efforts to improve homeland security and control immigration, U.S. Immigration and Customs and Enforcement has imposed a policy which requires many if not all international students to obtain an F-1 visa to enter the U.S. You will also be subject to a background check as well as an interview by the U.S. Embassy in your country. To obtain an F-1 visa, you must first be issued a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20) from the University of Hawai‘i, Outreach College.

Due to the length of time needed by the U.S. Embassy to process visa requests and regulations unique for each country, we strongly recommend that you request an I-20 no later than 2 months prior to the date the academic term begins.

Example: For Summer courses that begin in May, contact us for an I-20 no later than March 1. For some countries requests for an I-20 less than four months in advance may result in your visa being denied.

Notify Outreach College that you need an I-20 by writing "Need I-20" under "List Visa Type" on our application form or calling (808) 956-7221 or emailing us at An Outreach College I-20 Request pdf form will be emailed to you.

We will process and issue an I-20 if you have been accepted for admission and you have submitted your Outreach College I-20 request form, bank statement, passport and MMR immunization. See a summary list of information needed below:

Outreach College I-20 Request Form – Provide completed form with other documents on this list.

Bank statement – Provide a copy of your bank statement indicating sufficient funds to study at UHM. Please have your bank statement translated into English.

  • Students must have at least the cost of tuition plus $1300 (U.S. dollars) per month for living expenses.

  • Your bank statement must be dated within 6 months of the start of the session you intend to enroll in.

Valid passport – Provide a copy of your passport. If you already have a valid visa, provide a copy as well.

Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) immunization record – Two doses of live measles vaccine are required, with at least one of the two being an MMR vaccine. First dose must have been given after January 1, 1968 and on or after first birthday. A second dose must have been given at least 4 weeks after the first dose. MMR immunization may be waived if:

  1. Student was born before 1957, or;
  2. Serologic evidence of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.

Full-time status – Undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of six (6) credit hours and Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of four (4) credit hours per summer session. Only full-time students are eligible to obtain an I-20.

We understand that you are being required to provide a great deal of information; therefore we ask you to submit your documentation in a timely manner. We will make every effort to process your I-20 request as soon as possible. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

By phone: (808) 956-7221
By email:
By fax: (808) 956-3752

By US Postal Service Mail:
Outreach College
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
2440 Campus Road, Box 447
Honolulu, HI 96822

By Express Mail (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.):
Outreach College
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
2425 Campus Road
Sinclair Library 301
Honolulu, HI 96822

For more information about obtaining an I-20 to attend University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Outreach College fall or spring extension terms, contact our visa specialist:

Ms. Lisa Nakandakari
(808) 956-7753 or

Health Insurance

In addition to obtaining an appropriate visa, the University of Hawai‘i requires all non-immigrant students to have comprehensive medical insurance for the duration of their study here. Health care is very expensive in the U.S. and a hospital stay of even a day or two may cost thousands of dollars. If you are interested in purchasing UH-sponsored medical insurance or for more information on UHM's medical insurance requirement, visit the University Health Services web page (

Housing on-campus or off-campus

Some on-campus dorm rooms and a limited number of apartments are available for students registered for credit or noncredit courses. View the UHM Housing web page for information about housing, meal plans, and other campus services.

If you choose to live off-campus, visit the off-campus housing referral service, for links to O‘ahu Hostels, Rental links, and other off-campus accommodations

Other Programs for International Students

While most international students select from our over 1,200 credit courses, UHM Summer Sessions offers noncredit classes as well, including numerous popular English programs for international participants.

If you are a student from a country outside of the United States, connect to the following link for information about:

Noncredit English Language Programs
English programs for international participants.

back to top

Term Dates

Spring Extension 2020
January 7 – May 10, 2020

Summer 2020
May 20 - August 9, 2019

Contact Us

UHM Outreach College
Sinclair Library 310
2425 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-7221