How to Apply
Your application must be completed in full by the application deadline. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you submit your application well before the deadline date. Upon receipt of a student’s application, it is not uncommon for program staff to contact the student regarding missing or incorrect information sent, which needs to be completed or corrected before the application deadline of April 14, 2017.
Complete tasks A-F to apply to the Summer Scholar Program:
- Complete the Summer Scholar Application Form (download fillable pdf).
- Ask your parent or legal guardian to read the Parental Approval section on the application form. If they approve, ask them to sign on the Parent/Guardian Signature line. Also ask that your parent or legal guardian help you to complete the Residency Declaration Form (page 2 of the Summer Scholar Application Form).
- Request a copy of your high school transcripts (official or unofficial) from your schoolʻs records office. Check to see that a cumulative GPA which includes your Fall 2016 grades is on your transcript. Some schools only update student transcripts at the end of each academic year. If your transcript does not include your Fall 2016 grades, submit your Fall 2016 semester report card along with your high school transcript.
- Make a copy of your PSAT, SAT or ACT scores. A printout of your test results from an online source is acceptable. While you should have access to your test results, you might also ask your school records office if they have your test scores on file. If they do, you could request that they make a copy for you to submit with your application.
- Compile items A-E and mail to:
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Summer Scholar Program
2440 Campus Road, Box 447
Honolulu, HI 96822
- Ask your teacher, counselor or principal to write a letter of recommendation. Let them know the application deadline is April 14, 2017.
A note about letters of recommendation: When you ask someone to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf, you are asking them for their time and support. Part of showing your appreciation is making their task of writing and sending the letter as easy for them as possible.
You can do this by providing them with information about the program/college/job to which you are applying. In this case, you could send them an email with a link to the Summer Scholar website or print out some of the webpages. You might also choose to let them know what other things are required for that application, so they can tailor the letter to make the whole of your application stronger.
Finally, you should ask how they prefer to submit the letter. They can either email it directly to email@example.com or via USPS. If they prefer the latter, provide them with an envelope, which you have addressed for them – Outreach College, UH Mānoa; Summer Scholar Program; 2440 Campus Road, Box 447; Honolulu, HI 96822, and a stamp.
Ultimately, you are responsible for making sure that your application is complete, so you might follow-up with this person to confirm that the letter was sent or make arrangements ahead of time, asking them to please let you know when they send the letter.
Note: Your application is not considered complete until ALL supporting materials (items A, B, C, D and F) have been received by Outreach College, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. To confirm that your application has been received, call (808) 956-9246 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, within 15 working days of receipt.
Call (808) 956-9246 or e-mail email@example.com
Updated: September 8, 2016