Undergraduate Admission

U.S. High School Graduate or GED

Non-U.S. High School: Transcripts are required IF your high school diploma or its equivalent is from a non-U.S. secondary educational institution. Official transcripts may be required upon request.

24 Transferable Credits*

If you are not a high school graduate, admission will be based on your work at a U.S. College or University.

*must be in Good Academic Standing at your home institution. You are in good academic standing if you are neither on probation nor subject to suspension or dismissal.

Graduate Admission


Non-U.S. College or University: Transcripts and copies of your degree certificate are required IF your bachelor’s degree or its equivalent is from a non-U.S. college or university. Official transcripts may be required upon request.

English Proficiency

Applicants Whose Native Language Is Not English

If English is not your native language and you have never attended a fall or spring term at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency.

Standardized tests must have been taken within the past two years. Scores must be at or above the minimums listed below.

Please submit documentation with your application if you meet one (1) of the following criteria:

  1. TOEFL: 61 (internet-based), 173 (computer-based), or 500 (paper-based)
  1. IELTS: 5.0
  1. Duolingo English Test: 90
  1. SAT: 510 on the critical reading AND writing sections
  1. ACT: 22 on the English AND reading sections
  1. GRE: 151 on the verbal section
  1. Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a community college within the UH System
  1. Bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or a recognized university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland or New Zealand
  1. An ENG 100 equivalent course from a regionally accredited U.S. institution with a “D” or higher grade
  1. 60 transferable credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or from an institution that is recognized by UH Mānoa where English is the primary language of instruction
  1. Six (6) years of full-time schooling with English as the medium of instruction at a middle school, high school, college, or university in American Samoa, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Guam, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom, or the United States (including American Samoa and Guam). Documentation of all six  years is required.
  1. At least three years of high school in Hawaiʻi with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and 460 on the critical reading AND writing sections of the SAT
  1. UH Mānoa English Language Institute (ELI) placement examination test scores indicating that you qualify for enrollment

Gra13duate Admission