Outreach College at UH Mānoa offers a variety of financial aid options to help you achieve your goals.

Financial Aid

There are many federal, state, and private resources available to help fund your education. Students can apply for financial aid through their campus Financial Aid Office. If you are a Manoa student, most financial aid will directly apply to Outreach College courses. If you are a non-Manoa student, check with your campus Financial Aid Office to confirm that your aid can be applied to Outreach courses. For additional information you can visit the University’s Financial Aid site.

Tax Credits

The U.S. Congress established federal tax credits for qualified college tuition and related expenses under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Information about the tax credits as well as other education related tax credits can be found here.

All students, except nonresident aliens, who were charged qualified tuition and related expenses from January 1-December 31 will receive a 1098-T tax form. This form will reflect amounts billed (not paid) for qualified tuition and related expenses and amounts paid for scholarship and grants during the calendar year. The form will be available for viewing electronically from January 31 on MyUH Services. For additional information about the 1098-T form, visit the Office of the Registrarʻs website.

Note: The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 requires the University to collect and use students’ Social Security Numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) to report qualified tuition and related expenses billed to students and scholarship and grant payments made to students to the IRS each year.

Tuition Assistance

Osher Reentry Scholarship

The Osher Reentry Scholarship is for adult students who are completing their first bachelor’s degree after having left and returned to college, or did not attend college for more than 5 years after graduating from high school.

Applicants must have a minimum 5-year gap between enrollments. For more info regarding eligibility click here.

Graduate Assistant, Employee or Spouse/Domestic Partner Tuition Waivers

These tuition waivers can be applied to Outreach College courses under certain conditions. A non-refundable, non-transferable administrative fee is charged for each registered eligible extension term course. The administrative fee is calculated as 1/2 of an undergraduate resident credit.

For information about our Employee Tuition Waiver or Graduate Assistant Tuition Exemption Information and Forms click here.

Military Nonresident Tuition Exemption

For tuition purposes only, active duty military personnel stationed in Hawai‘i and their authorized family members, and only members of the Hawai‘i National Guard or Hawai‘i-based Reserves are exempt from nonresident tuition rates. To qualify for resident tuition rates, complete the Verification of U.S. Armed Forces Assignment Form (available at the Hawai‘i Base Education Office or Outreach College Student Services) and submit annually.

In addition, a copy of the military orders is required if a student is registering for the first time through Outreach College. Active duty military personnel need to contact their Base Educational Services Officer for the proper “Authorization for Payment” form before registering for courses. At the time of payment, registrants submit the completed, original Tuition Assistance (TA) form; otherwise, full tuition is charged.

Veterans Administration (VA) Benefits

Individuals seeking VA educational benefits (including certification) consult the VA Regional Office or the Campus VA representative by emailing uhmva@hawaii.edu before registering for courses. The VA does not offer educational benefits for all courses.