Frequently Asked Questions

Do my previous college credits expire?

Undergraduate college credits do not expire. There are a few majors that will not accept courses toward their major after a certain amount of time (varies), however, the courses and the credits can still be used toward graduation requirements or possibly another major. Several students who last attended UH Mānoa in the 1970s have returned and graduated. We are happy to review your academic records and talk with you about how your previous coursework can still count toward earning your first bachelor’s degree. Please submit the online form on the Letʻs Connect page to get started!

What if I’m interested in returning to UH Mānoa to complete my bachelor’s degree but do not meet the CBM eligibility requirements?

While the Come Back to Mānoa program is designed for a particular group of former students, we support your desire to return to UH Mānoa to complete your degree. You may submit the online form on the Let’s Connect page, and we will review your records. If you do not meet the eligibility requirements, we will discuss your options and refer you to someone on campus who can assist you.

What is the difference between “stopping out” and “dropping out” of college?

Generally speaking, “stopping out” means to withdraw temporarily from college, putting one’s education on hold with the intention to return and complete a degree. “Dropping out” of college generally means leaving with no intention at that time to return or complete a degree. However, students who drop out of college certainly can change their minds and return to complete their degree!

What if my daughter/son/significant other really needs to return to UH Mānoa and complete their bachelor’s degree?

Your encouragement and support will go a long way in helping someone in your life accomplish this major objective. However, she or he needs to want to complete the degree. Engage in a serious discussion, and if this is their objective as well, please have the individual contact our office for more information.