Study Abroad in Hawai‘i at UH Mānoa

UH Mānoa Online

Online degree and certificate programs from UH Mānoa.


Stay on track or get ahead by taking online or accelerated courses.

Continuing Education

Degree and certificate programs on flexible schedules and in online and hybrid formats.

Arts & Culture

Personal enrichment with music and dance performances, and presentations from visiting artists and scholars.



In class, we are asked to explain and give reasons for our answers even though it may be incorrect; our teachers helped us to understand our thoughts and that helped with our speaking. I feel more confident with speaking English after this program.

Mai Fukuoka

I was able to meet University students and improving my English skills. And this atmosphere made me want to study hard.


The English only policy and interchange (a NICE Program feature where UH students join NICE students in class to improve conversation skills with their peers) part of the program and *ILE on Wednesdays are strong points of the program, which is what I would tell others. I also recommend the UH gym for students because I used it a lot while at NICE.


Common Questions

Q: Where is the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM) located?

A: UHM is in Honolulu, Hawai‘i, on the island of Oahu. It is the main campus of the University of Hawai‘i system. By bus, it’s about 20 minutes from the airport and about 15 minutes from Waikiki Beach. By the way, Mānoa is the name of the valley where UHM is located.

Q: Is Hawai’i safe?

A: Honolulu is listed as the safest large city in the U.S. During the first week, our teachers and staff will give you good advice on staying safe while visiting our islands (a safety briefing).

Q: How much money will I need to attend 3-week NICE?

A: Not including airfare and personal purchases, students usually need about $2800 to cover program fees, housing, meals, and bus transportation. This will vary depending on where you choose to live.

Q: Do I need a visa to attend NICE?

A: Because three-week NICE is a short-term program, a student visa is not required. Students may enter the U.S. on visitor status (ESTA or B1/B2 visa).

See All