Innovative three-week English language program for students offered four times a year.
The NICE three-week program focuses on communication, culture, and community.NICE maximizes the students’ time in Hawai‘i through in-class and off-campus activities that provide an intensive, yet fun, experience learning English while immersed in Hawaiian culture. If you are 16 years or older, join us on an enriching study abroad experience like nowhere else in the world. University groups are welcome.
- Provide a flexible curriculum suited to the students’ interests, needs, and abilities
- Provide innovative methods for teaching, listening, and speaking skills
- Students learn through real-world listening and speaking tasks
- Maximize opportunities to use learned communication skills outside of the classroom
- Provide a culturally diverse, enriching, and supportive learning environment while fostering Hawaiian cultural values
Campus Orientation and Campus Tour
On the first day, you will receive an orientation to the program, university, community, and a safety briefing.
Skill Level Testing
On the first day, you will be given a speaking test with teachers from the program and, based on your skill level, you will be placed into one of five levels: Basic, High Basic, Intermediate, High Intermediate, or Advanced.
Designed to help build oral proficiency, each level has specified Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) that focus on speaking. Class activities may include:
- Pairing up and small group activities
- Role-playing activities
- Discussions and debates
- Campus surveys
- Mini oral reports
- Oral presentations
All students complete a final speaking project during the last week of the program.
Off-campus Community Activities
To provide an immersive experience for students, the program offers supervised off-campus activities. Activities include museum visits, cultural events, and visits to historical landmarks and national parks. (Note: students should plan to spend up to $20 total on these required activities.)
Conversation Lessons with Interchange Students
You will practice your English with University of Hawai’i Interchange students several times during the session. Teachers provide tasks related to the curriculum, and sessions are held in a friendly atmosphere that encourages interaction.
You will learn the ancient Hawaiian art of hula – one of the most beautiful and essential aspects of Hawaiian culture – from a kumu hula (hula teacher). You will learn to perform hula during a two-hour workshop held on campus.
Optional events are offered in the evenings and on weekends. You will receive detailed information about the activities soon after registering for the program. Activities and costs vary. Previous activities have included whale watching, a university basketball game, and a sunset picnic.
Each student receives an official transcript of performance and attendance. Upon request, and with student authorization, the program will provide a copy of the transcript to a student’s home university.
Closing Celebration and Certificate Award
On the last day of the program, you will join your classmates for a celebration and lunch. Students give speeches and provide entertainment. Students who meet performance and attendance requirements receive a University of Hawai’i certificate of completion.
What to Expect
- Study in-person at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa campus in a safe and healthy environment
- Interactive classes focused on practical communication
- Conversation sessions with UH students
- Off-campus educational activities
- Hawaiian culture workshop
- Optional excursions
- Closing celebration and a University of Hawai’i program completion certificate
Types of Students Who Will Benefit
• High school students
• College students
• Working professionals looking to refine their English language communication skills
• Anyone with an interest in refining their English language skills
How to Apply
Students interested in the three-week NICE program can apply here.
Students can pay with a credit card online.
Please contact the NICE office for information regarding the application and payment process for your group.
$75 application fee is non-refundable; 100% of course fee is refundable for cancellations made by 2 business days prior to program start. No refund thereafter.
The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
2444 Campus Road, Box 447
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96822 USA