The Master of Education in Teaching (MEdT) program is a two-year, field-based program designed for those pursuing careers in teaching who have earned baccalaureate degrees in fields other than education.
The Master of Education in Teaching (MEdT) program envisions confident, well-prepared educators who have a critical role in creating and implementing quality experiences for all children. The program works in collaboration with public, charter, and private school partners to offer both a high-quality K–12 teacher licensure program and graduate education that supports the simultaneous renewal of K–12 schools and teacher education.
Upon successful completion of this Master’s degree, candidates will be recommended for initial teacher licensure to the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) to teach elementary (K–6), secondary (6–12), or Hawaiian Language Immersion (K–12) in a general education classroom. Programs offered at the secondary level are English, Hawaiian Language, mathematics, science, or social studies.
In addition to the required courses, licensure candidates will take:
- Teaching Methods (6 credits)
- Elementary licensure candidates will take two courses selected by cohort coordinator; Topics may include Reading, Writing, Social Studies, English Language Learner, or STEMS.
- Secondary licensure candidates will take two courses selected by cohort coordinator focusing on teaching methods specific to the candidate’s secondary subject area.
- Special Education (3 credits) – Elementary licensure candidates take SPED 444; Secondary licensure candidates take SPED 445.
- Professional Specialization elective (3 credits) – A course selected by Cohort Coordinators to help candidates further develop their knowledge of teaching in their content area and their strengths as teacher leaders.
- Research Methods (3 credits) – A qualitative research methods course, selected by cohort coordinator, needed to conduct classroom-based research for the Plan B Paper/Project.
ITE 600 MEdT Program Seminar (1 credits)
ITE 601B Prof Studies I: Licensure (V credits)
ITE 602B ClinPartner&PracticeI: Lic (V credits)
ITE 603B Prof Studies II: Licensure (V credits)
ITE 604B ClinPartner&PracticeII: Lic (V credits)
ITE 610B ClinPartner&PracticeIII: Lic (V credits)
ITE 611B Prof Studies III: Licensure (V credits)
ITE 612B ClinPartner&PracticeIV: Lic (V credits)
ITE 613B ProfStudies IV: Licensure (V credits)
SPED 444 Ed Excpt Stdnts Reg Clsrms Ele (3 credits)
SPED 445 Ed Excpt Stdnts Reg Clsrms Sec (3 credits)