Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Teacher Education- Secondary Education

The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Teacher Education in Secondary Education program (PBCTE-Secondary) welcomes busy professionals from the neighbor islands who hold a bachelor’s degree and find time and distance constraints of furthering an on-campus degree too difficult.

PBCTE-Secondary is an 18-month certificate program designed for students who have a BA or BS degree and wish to obtain initial basic teacher certification. To enroll, students must have completed an academic content major appropriate to their proposed teaching subject and pass the PRAXIS Content knowledge test. It consists of nine interrelated courses totaling 36 credits. Students who complete this initial teacher licensure program are encouraged to continue their professional growth. PBCTE-Secondary students may apply up to 12 course credits from the program to a College of Education (COE) master’s degree program. Students must negotiate course transfer at the time of application to the master’s program.

Graduates of this program become teachers in secondary educational institutions, both public (Hawai‘i Department of Education and Public Charter Schools) and private.

Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be recommended for licensure to teach 6-12th grade in a subject field in the state of Hawai‘i. The ITE Secondary Program offers teaching majors in the following fields:

  • Art
  • Dance
  • English Language Arts
  • English Language Learners/Multilingual
  • Health & Physical Education
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Science
  • Social Studies
  • Theater
  • World Languages

Once completing an initial teacher licensure program, graduates are eligible to apply for a state license through the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board, which will allow the licensee to teach in public and charter schools in the State of Hawai‘i.

Hawai‘i also participates in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement which facilitates the mobility of educators among states that are members of NASDTEC. UHM recommends you contact the office of certification in any state to which you may be relocating to get the most current information. See NASDTEC website for more information.


There are many resources available to help graduate students pay for college, including College of Education scholarships. Additional scholarships may be found at the Financial Support section of the Graduate Division website. For more information on financial aid and additional resources, please visit the UH Mānoa Financial Aid Office (finaid@hawaii.edu).

The Grow Our Own Teachers Initiative, also known as GOO, is an opportunity for candidates enrolled in PBCTE-Secondary and the Master of Education in Teaching in Secondary Education programs to qualify for tuition stipends. GOO is made possible through a partnership between the College of Education of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and Hawai‘i Department of Education. For more information on eligibility requirements and the application process, please visit our Grow Our Own Teachers page.