Is UHM accredited?
Yes. UHM is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Address: Association of Senior Colleges and Universities, 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, tel: (510) 748-9001, fax: (510) 748-9797, email: wascsr@wascsenior.org, web: www.wascsenior.org.

Does UHM use the semester or quarter system?
UHM is on a semester system. One semester credit is the equivalent of 1.5 quarter credits.

Address, Email Address or Telephone Number Changes

How can I forward my email address?
Important information is sent to your UH email address. Check your email regularly. If you prefer to use another email address, don’t forget to forward your hawaii.edu email.

To forward your hawaii.edu email to a preferred email address, go to the ITS Google@UH Gmail page and follow the instructions listed there. If you need assistance, contact the ITS Help Desk at (808) 956-8883 or help@hawaii.edu.

How can I update my mailing address or telephone number?
To update your current or permanent mailing address and phone numbers:

  • MyUH: Search for “Student Services Menu,” click on the “Personal Information” tab at the top, then click on “View/Update My Address(es) and Phone(s).” The Federal Tax Credit Form 1098-T is sent to your permanent mailing address in January.


Would it be okay to miss the first day of class?
No. Plan to attend class from the first day of instruction. Attendance may affect your final course grade. Students on financial aid should also plan to attend on the first day as instructors may be asked to verify attendance.

What happens if I cannot complete my course requirements? Can I get an Incomplete grade?
Request your instructor’s approval for an Incomplete grade. If you receive an “I” grade, complete your work no later than November 1 for summer or summer extension courses.

If the work is not completed by November 1, your undergraduate course “I” grade will be changed to an alternate grade assigned by the instructor.

Cancelled Courses

How will I know whether my course is cancelled by the University?
If you are a visiting mainland student, do this BEFORE you commence travel to Hawai‘i. Checking your course schedule often for errors or updates is highly recommended.

If my course is cancelled, do I need to process paperwork to drop the course?

If my course is cancelled, do I receive a refund?
If your course is cancelled, you may select an alternate course. Otherwise, a 100% tuition refund is issued. See more refund information.

Courses: Numbering System, Full-time or Part-time Status, Maximum Credits

How do you number courses at UHM?

501-599Courses applicable toward first professional degrees (e.g.law, medicine) and in-service training programs in education
600-699Graduate Courses
700Thesis Research (Master’s Plan A)
700-798Advanced graduate courses
800Dissertation Research

How many credits is considered full-time in the Summer?
For instructions on how to request an official verification of your student enrollment status contact the UHM Registrar’s Office at (808) 956-8010 or email uhmanoa.records@hawaii.edu

Undergraduate Students: 6 credits per 6-week session
Graduate/Post-Baccalaureate Students: 4 graduate-level credits per 6-week session

Please contact Financial Aid Services for more information on their full-time/half-time enrollment eligibility requirement.

University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Financial Aid Services
Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services
2600 Campus Road, Room 112
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-7251
Email: finaid@hawaii.edu
Web: www.hawaii.edu/fas/mymanagement/summer.php

What are the recommended maximum number of credits?
Summer Sessions courses are highly accelerated and most meet everyday and we want you to plan your schedule and time accordingly. If you are accustomed to taking fall and spring courses on a semester schedule, a 3-credit summer course offered over three weeks is the equivalent of enrolling in a 16 credit hour semester (or 24 quarter unit) load. Taking 6 credits in six weeks is also the equivalent of enrolling in a 16 credit hour semester (or 24 quarter unit) load. We strongly recommend students enroll in no more than 8 credits per 6-week session and no more than 3 credits per 3-week session.

English as a Second Language

If English is not my native language, may I enroll in Outreach College/Summer Sessions?
If English is not your native language and you have never attended a fall or spring term at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, we evaluate your English skills before you enroll. All standardized tests must have been taken within the past two years. Please send a document to Outreach College Student Services that verifies one of the following:

  • You have taken the UHM English Language Institute placement examination indicating that you qualified for enrollment;
  • You have a score of 500+ (paper-based), 61+ (internet-based), or 173+ (computer-based) TOEFL exam taken within the last two years;
  • You have a score of 460 or higher on the verbal section of the GRE;
  • You have a score of 510 or higher on the Critical Reading AND Writing sections of the SAT;
  • You have a score of 22 or higher on the English AND Reading sections of the ACT;
  • You have an overall score of 5.0 or higher on the IELTS;
  • You have an Associate of Arts degree from a community college within the University of Hawaiʻi System;
  • Completed an ENG 100 equivalent course from a regionally accredited U.S. institution with a “D” or higher grade;
  • You have completed 60 transferrable semester credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher from a university whose academic standing is recognized by the University of Hawaiʻi and where English is the primary language of instruction;
  • You have completed 6 years of full-time schooling with English as the medium of instruction at a middle school, high school, college or university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States, American Samoa or Guam;
  • You have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or a recognized university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland or New Zealand;
  • You have completed at least 3 years of high school in Hawaiʻi with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and 460 on the Critical Reading AND Writing sections of the SAT.

Send the appropriate document(s) to Outreach College Student Services with your UHM Outreach College Credit Application Form, or if not possible, send transcripts or grade reports separately as needed.

Submit all your documents through UH FileDrop – secure email (Recipient: OCHELP).

Grades and Final Exams

When are final exams scheduled?
Final examinations are given on the last class meeting for Summer Sessions courses.

How do I receive my grades?
Students can view their grades and unofficial transcripts through MyUH Services – “View My Final Grades” or  STAR. Grade reports are not mailed.

Give the instructor a few days to get the grade posted. If your grade does not appear, your instructor may not have entered it into the system or the grade record may not have been “rolled” to your transcript record yet. If you have any questions about your grade, contact the instructor. If you don’t have your instructor’s email address, contact the academic department.

Grade Deadlines
View the current faculty grade entry deadlines. Summer Grades

Grade Options—Credit/No Credit, Audit

What are my grading options for UHM courses?
With a few exceptions, the letter-grade option is automatically selected when you register online. However for many courses you may select one of three grading options:

  • Letter Grade (+/- grade system); see the UHM catalog for more information.
  • Credit/No Credit (CR/NC= no letter grade given, but credit earned if “C” caliber work or better is performed, and “CR” will appear on transcript.
  • Audit (no letter grade or credit given, L grade on transcript)

How much time do I have to change my grading option?
Not much. View the academic calendar for your course. The last date to register (add) is the last day to change grading options.

If I select the CR/NC grading option, can I use the course for my major or as a core course?
No. UHM classified students should note that the CR/NC option is limited to elective courses and is not allowed for any course taken to fulfill UHM college, school, or department nonelective requirements in your major. (Exception: courses offered for mandatory Credit/No Credit)

Can I transfer a CR/NC course to another college or university?
Contact an advisor at the school you want to transfer the courses to. Before you select the “CR/NC” option for a course, understand that many colleges and universities will not accept CR/NC course grades or will not apply them to degree requirements. Some colleges, graduate and professional schools, employers, and scholarship awarding agencies evaluate a “CR” grade as a “C”grade and a “NC” grade as an “F” grade.

May I audit a course?
If you wish to enroll in a course with “Audit” as the grading option, contact Outreach College Student Services to find out whether the course can be taken for the audit grade option and to request an Audit Approval Form. Obtain the instructor’s approval on this form. The extent of your classroom participation is determined by the instructor. Audit registration is not available online. Submit the completed form through UH FileDrop – secure email (Recipient: OCHELP), by the last day to add the course.

How much does it cost to audit a course?
Auditing a course costs the same as taking it for credit.

Do audited courses appear on transcript records?
Yes. Audited courses are recorded on UHM transcripts with an “L” grade.

Do audited course credits count towards full-time/part-time status for academic purposes?
No. Audited course credits are not counted when verification of enrollment status forms are processed.

Health Insurance

Do I need to have health insurance?
For all international students enrolled at the University of Hawaiʻi, health insurance is a requirement. Health insurance may be purchased in your native country or at the University Health Services, Mānoa office. You can also contact UHSM at (808) 956-8965 or uhsm@hawaii.edu.

UH Number, Email Address, and ID Card

How do I get a UH Number and UH Email address?
After your application is processed you are assigned a UH number, which Outreach College emails or mails to you. Once admitted you must obtain a UH email address. Go to the Managing Your Username page, click on “Get a UH username” and follow instructions. If you need assistance creating your password or with your UH username, contact the ITS Help Desk by phone at (808) 956-8883 or 1-800-558-2669 or email help@hawaii.edu.

Important information from University administrators, offices, and instructors will be sent to your UH email address. Email sent to your UH email account is considered an official channel of communication by the University. Check your email regularly.

Where do I get a UH Student identification (ID) card?
Once a student is registered for Summer Sessions, they can get a Manoa One Card at no cost by visiting the ID Office, which is located in Campus Center. However, only AFTER the student is charged Student fees, pays these in full or accepts a Financial Aid award AND the term starts (traditional term dates), will the student be eligible to use benefits, such as accessing the Warrior Recreation Center.

Note: If a student has any UH holds on their record, they will not be able to obtain an ID card. If a student later has a Financial Obligation (FO) placed on their record, they will lose the benefits of their ID card until the FO is removed. For the UPASS in the summer, students must pay an opt-in fee to get a UPASS sticker from the ID office for their ID card.

Students registered for non-credit courses only must get an ID Office memo from Outreach College Student Services in order to get a UH Student ID card. The ID card for students in non-credit courses costs $10, is a Guest ID card, and it does not allow use of the Warrior Recreation Center.

For more information, please refer to the Campus Center ID Office site.

Placement in Summer Courses

Do I need to take any Placement Exams?

Visit the Chemistry department website for information about their placement exams. For questions, email chemdept@hawaii.edu or call (808) 956-7480.

If you need assistance selecting the correct course level for a language course (e.g., Chinese, French, Hawaiian), contact the academic department (see Academic Department Contact).

Visit the Math department website for information about their placement exams. For questions, email office@math.hawaii.edu or call (808) 956-4679.

top of page


How do I know whether the course I want has prerequisites?
Read the course description listed in the UHM catalog. If you have any prerequisite questions or you need an instructor’s syllabus, contact the subject Academic Department office for information.

Who is responsible for being certain I’ve met prerequisite requirements?
You are.

What do I do if I try to register for a course, but cannot due to a prerequisite problem?
Visit the department website as they may have instructions for requesting an override. Otherwise, contact the instructor or Academic Department office for assistance. The appropriate person at the department or college may approve your registration request. If approved, he or she will enter an approval code into your student record that will permit you to register. The department person or the instructor cannot register you for the course. After the approval code is entered, register through STAR GPS.

If I am a new or returning student, can I get an approval code before I am admitted for the term?
No. Approval codes can only be entered for current students. If you have not been officially admitted for the term, you should wait for your notice of acceptance and your student ID number before asking the academic department for an approval code.

Residency Requirements

I am a Hawaiʻi resident attending school on the mainland. Do I need to fill out the Residency Section of the Credit Application and possibly the Residency Exemptions Form?
Yes. We need to determine your current residency status. If you have been attending a mainland school as a resident of that state, you are not considered a Hawai’i resident. Official residency can be claimed only in one state.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

Do I need to take a TOEFL exam?
TOEFL scores are highly recommended for international students interested in attending Outreach College. If you have taken the TOEFL exam within the past two years and earned a score of 500+ (paper-based), 61+ (internet), or 173+ (computer-based), provide an official copy of your TOEFL score. See more information for international students.

How do I find out more about the TOEFL?
For on campus TOEFL testing information contact the UH-Mānoa Testing office at (808) 956-3454. For up-to-date world-wide TOEFL information, view the TOEFL website ; call: (609) 771-7100 or 1-877-863-3546; fax: (610) 290-8972; email: toefl@ets.org; or write to: TOEFL Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151.


Do I need to send a transcript to take Outreach College courses?
Send official transcript(s) only if:

  1. English is not your first language and
  2. Your TOEFL score is less than 500+ (paper-based), 61+ (internet), or 173+ (computer-based)
  3. You obtained your baccalaureate degree from a non-U.S. college or university.

    Official transcript(s) to be sent to:
    Admissions Specialist
    Outreach College
    University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
    2440 Campus Road, Box 447
    Honolulu, Hawai’i 96822

Do not send your transcript for Summer Sessions to the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Admissions and Records office.

How do I get a transcript of my Outreach College course record?
Transcript requests are handled through the UHM Office of the Registrar. Instructions on how to order transcripts can be found on their website at manoa.hawaii.edu/records/transcripts.html, or contact the Registrar’s Office at (808) 956-8010 or email uhmanoa.records@hawaii.edu.

How much do transcripts cost?
Transcripts are $5.00 per copy for a standard request processed within 5 business days, or $15.00 for a “rush” request processed within 2 business days.

Transfer Credits

How do I know whether UHM credits will transfer to my home college or university?
Consult your home school advisor. Credits earned at UHM are applicable toward degrees only as determined by your home school. Your school may ask for a copy of the course description from the UHM General Catalog. If you need a more detailed course description or syllabus, contact the instructor or the academic department office for assistance.

How do I transfer my UHM course records to my home college or university?
Ask your home school advisor. Usually, you need to send a transcript to your home school. Instructions on how to order transcripts can be found at manoa.hawaii.edu/records/transcripts.html, or contact the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Office of the Registar at (808) 956-8010 or email uhmanoa.records@hawaii.edu. A University HOLD may prevent your transcript from being issued.

Visa Regulations

I’m a foreign citizen from abroad. I am planning to attend the UHM Summer Sessions. Do I need a visa? Do I need an I-20?
Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country for visa information. Regulations are constantly being changed; the U.S. Embassy/Consulate will have the most current information available. They will advise you of the proper documents needed to travel to Hawai‘i.

I-20 Request
Due to efforts to improve homeland security and control immigration, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has imposed a policy which requires many if not all international students to obtain an F-1 visa to enter the U.S. You will also be subject to a background check as well as an interview by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country. To obtain an F-1 visa, you must first be issued a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20) from the University of Hawai‘i Outreach College.

Due to the length of time needed by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate to process visa requests and regulations unique for each country, we strongly recommend that you request an I-20 no later than two months prior to the date the academic term begins.

Example: For summer courses that begin in May, contact us for an I-20 no later than March 1. For some countries requests for an I-20 less than four months in advance may result in your visa being denied.

Notify Outreach College that you need an I-20 by writing “Need I-20” under “List Visa Type” on our application form, or emailing us at ochelp@hawaii.edu. An I-20 Request PDF form will be emailed to you. We will process and issue an I-20 if you have been accepted for admission and you have submitted your Outreach College I-20 Request form, bank statement, passport and MMR immunization information. Submit all your documents through UH FileDrop – secure email (Recipient: OCHELP).

For more information about obtaining an I-20 to attend University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Summer Sessions, click on the International Students webpage or contact our visa specialist: Ms. Lisa Nakandakari nakandak@hawaii.edu