Summer Sessions for international students

The culturally diverse students of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa welcome you with ALOHA!

Important information for International Students

New/Transferring Students for Fall 2022

If you have been accepted for admission to UH Mānoa for Fall 2022, you are not a current student for the Summer 2022 term. Therefore, please submit an Outreach College Application Form for Summer 2022 admission.

Visiting International Students

If you would like to attend UH Mānoa during the summer term:

  1. Submit a form-fillable Credit Application and Residency Form through UH FileDrop – secure email (Recipient: ochelp).
  2. If your native language is not English, you must submit additional documents to prove English proficiency. See English Language Proficiency section below.
  3. If needed, request an I-20 from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Outreach College.
  4. You will receive notification (via email or mail) on the outcome of your application.
  5. Once you have been admitted, register for Summer Sessions courses via the MyUH Services. (Registration begins in March.)

English Language Proficiency

If English is not your native language and you have never attended a fall or spring term at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency (this applies even if you have already been accepted to UH Mānoa for Fall). Please send documentation for one of the following (see items a-l) with your application form. Note: Admission through Outreach College does not imply a waiver of the TOEFL exam for admission for the regular Fall and Spring semesters.

  1. Minimum composite score of 61 (internet-based), 173 (computer-based) or 500 (paper-based) on the TOEFL
  2. Minimum overall score of 5.0 on the IELTS
  3. Minimum score of 510 on the critical reading AND writing sections of the SAT
  4. Minimum score of 22 on the English AND reading sections of the ACT
  5. Minimum score of 151 on the verbal section of the GRE
  6. An Associate of Arts degree from a community college within the UH System
  7. A bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or a recognized university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland or New Zealand
  8. Completed an ENG 100 equivalent course from a regionally accredited U.S. institution with a “D” or higher grade
  9. Completed 60 transferrable credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or from an institution that is recognized by UH Mānoa where English is the primary language of instruction
  10. Completed six years of continuous school through middle school, high school or college or university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, American Samoa or Guam
  11. Completed at least three years of high school in Hawaiʻi with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and 460 on the critical reading AND writing sections of the SAT
  12. Test scores for the UH Mānoa English Language Institute (ELI) placement examination indicating that you qualify for enrollment.

Standardized test scores must have been taken within the past two years.

Visa and I-20 Information

Contact the nearest U.S. embassy in your country for visa information. They will advise you of the proper documents needed to travel to Hawaiʻi. Regulations are constantly being changed; the U.S. embassy will have the most current information available.

I-20 Request

Due to efforts to improve homeland security and control immigration, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has imposed a policy which requires many, if not all, international students to obtain an F-1 visa to enter the U.S. (You will also be subject to a background check and interview by the U.S. embassy in your country.)

If your U.S. embassy instructs you to get an F-1 visa so you can enter the U.S., one of the requirements for getting an F-1 visa is an I-20 from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Outreach College. (The I-20 is also called the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.)

Note: Only full-time students are eligible to receive an I-20. This means you must be registered for a minimum of six credit hours (undergraduate students) or four credit hours (graduate students) for the term(s) for which you are requesting an I-20.

When do I request the I-20 from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Outreach College?
Regulations are unique for each country and different U.S. embassies require different amounts of time to process visa requests. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you contact the nearest U.S. embassy as soon as possible for information about the process of getting the correct documentation in a timely manner. Depending on your home country, you should request an I-20 from UH Mānoa, Outreach College anywhere from six to three months before the start date of your summer course(s).

How do I get the I-20 from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Outreach College?
Provide items 1 through 5 to UH Mānoa, Outreach College in order to receive an I-20. If you have item 6, please submit a copy of this, as well.

  1. An I-20 will only be processed and issued to students who have been accepted for admission to UH Mānoa Summer Sessions. Therefore, you must submit the UH Mānoa, Outreach College Application/Residency form and any documents related to your application.
  2. Submit the Outreach College I-20 Request Form. You can get this form by
    • emailing ochelp@hawaii.edu
    • writing “Need I-20” on the Outreach College Application/Residency form, under List Visa Type
  3. Submit a copy of your bank statement indicating sufficient funds to study at UH Mānoa. Please have your bank statement translated into English.
    • Your bank statement should show that you have at least the cost of tuition plus $1600/month (U.S. dollars) for living expenses.
    • Your bank statement must be dated within 6 months of the start date of your summer course(s).
  4. Submit a copy of your passport.
  5. Health Clearance -test/vaccine dates verified by a physician. For more information, visit https://www.hawaii.edu/shs/health_clearance/
  6. If you already have a valid visa, please provide a copy of this visa.

What if I am a visiting international student already in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa?
Contact your international student advisor at your U.S. home institution to tell them of your travel plans to UH Mānoa for the summer; your U.S. home institution may be required to endorse your I-20 or DS-2019 if you plan to return to your home country prior to traveling to Hawaiʻi. Please include a copy of your I-20 or DS-2019 along with your UH Mānoa Outreach College Credit Course Application Form. If your I-20 expires prior to the start of UH Mānoa Summer Sessions, you may be required to obtain a new I-20 from UH Mānoa Outreach College for the summer. Please refer to the instructions above to request an I-20 from UH Mānoa Outreach College.

What if I am currently attending a U.S. institution and I am transferring to UH Mānoa for the fall semester? Will I need an I-20 from UH Mānoa Outreach College for the Summer Sessions?
Include a copy of your current I-20 along with your UH Mānoa Outreach College Credit Course Application Form. We will contact you regarding your travel plans to best determine if you require an I-20 from UH Mānoa Outreach College.

We understand that you are being required to provide a great deal of information; therefore we ask you to submit your documentation in a timely manner. We will make every effort to process your I-20 request as soon as possible. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Due to Covid-19 limiting staff on campus, we ask that you submit all your documents through UH FileDrop – secure email (Recipient: OCHELP).

For more information about obtaining an I-20 to attend University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Summer Sessions, contact our visa specialist:

Ms. Lisa Nakandakari
nakandak@hawaii.edu or ochelp@hawaii.edu

Health Insurance

In addition to obtaining an appropriate visa, the University of Hawaiʻi requires all non-immigrant students to have comprehensive medical insurance for the duration of their study here. Health care is very expensive in the U.S. and a hospital stay of even a day or two may cost thousands of dollars. If you are interested in purchasing UH-sponsored medical insurance or for more information on UHM’s medical insurance requirement, visit the University Health Services web page (www.hawaii.edu/shs/international).


On-campus housing options include dormitories and apartments for students registered for credit or noncredit courses. View the UH Mānoa Housing web page for information about housing, meal plans, and other campus services.

Other Programs for International Students

UH Mānoa Summer Sessions offers more than 600 credit courses and most visiting international students choose to take one or more of these courses. However, UH Mānoa Summer Sessions also offers noncredit courses, including numerous popular English programs for international students.

Noncredit English Language Programs