Dropping and Withdrawing From Courses

  • The student is responsible for reviewing the course Academic Calendar and meeting all deadlines for withdrawal and refund.
  • The student is responsible for course withdrawal(s). Not attending, discontinuing participation without officially withdrawing, stopping payment, or a bounced check may result in your receiving an “F” or “NC” grade.
  • Before the term begins, drop unwanted courses on STAR GPS (directly or through MyUH Services) to avoid financial or academic penalties. Review your class schedule and student account charges to confirm that the drop processed correctly.
  • Students with financial obligation holds on their records may drop or withdraw from courses by contacting Outreach College Student Services for assistance.

Drop, no “W” on record
Students may drop a course online up to the last day to drop without a “W” grade, as specified on the Academic Calendar for the course.

For drops with refunds, drop the course by the last day to receive 100% or 50% tuition refund (see Academic Calendar).

Withdrawal, “W” on record
Students may withdraw from a course online, after the last day to drop until the last day to withdraw from class, as specified on the Academic Calendar for the course.

Dropping a course with a “W” grade means that you are withdrawing from the course and will receive a “W” grade. No tuition will be refunded. 

Financial Aid Recipients Dropping or Withdrawing From Courses
If you receive financial aid, please consult with a financial aid counselor from your home institution before dropping your course. You may be required to repay a portion of or all the aid you received (including tuition waivers).

Visiting International Students Dropping or Withdrawing From Courses
All international students issued an I-20 from Outreach College for the Summer Session(s), are not authorized to drop or withdraw below a full-time course load for the duration of the term the I-20 was requested.


To avoid financial penalties you must drop your course(s) within the 100% refund period. Refund deadlines are course specific and can be viewed on the Course Academic Calendar.

Refunds for non-financial aid students will be processed starting July 15, 2022. To request a refund earlier email ocfiscal@hawaii.edu from your UH hawaii.edu email address. Be sure to include your name and UH Student ID number in your correspondence.

To receive tuition refunds as a direct deposit to your checking account sign up for eRefund through your MyUH account. Please allow 6 business days for the pre-note verification process before eRefund will be activated. Go to University of Hawaiʻi FAQs for Student eCommerce Services for additional information.

Refunds for payments made by cash or check will be deposited directly into your eRefund account or mailed to your current mailing address. Credit card refunds posted within 90 days of the original credit card payment will be posted to the most recent credit card used.