Employee Tuition Waiver or Graduate Assistant Tuition Exemption
This is information for the UHM Employee, Spouse/Domestic Partner Tuition Waiver and Graduate Assistant Tuition Exemption procedures for Extension Term courses. Click here to view waiver and exemption information for Summer Sessions.
- Please read the IMPORTANT WITHHOLDING OF TAXES ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE REGISTERING AND SUBMITTING THE FORMS
- You cannot process tuition waivers or exemptions for Extension courses online. See the table below for instructions.
- Due to the self-supporting nature of these courses, all waivers or exemptions for Extension Term courses are subject to departmental approval. Use of waivers or exemptions is dependent on student eligibility, Outreach College Dean approval, AND academic department approval. Department approval is course specific. Please be sure to list all the classes you are requesting on the form.
- **University Board of Regents policy restricts registration to the late registration period. Late registration begins on the first day of the course and ends on the last day to register, as listed on the Course Academic Calendar. Employee or Spouse/Domestic Partner waivers or Graduate Assistant exemptions cannot be used for registration completed before this period. Course registration done prior to the late registration period will not be eligible for tuition exemption.
- The complete, certified form must be received no later than the course 50% refund period. Refer to the online Course Academic Calendar for course specific dates. Forms submitted after this date will not be accepted.
- Employee waivers will be applied to Tuition AND Student Term Fees. Graduate Assistant exemptions can be applied to Tuition ONLY. Additional professional fees, course fees, or charges will not be covered.
- Once the waiver or exemption has been processed, a NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERRABLE College Administrative Fee (Admin Fee) equal to 30% of one undergraduate resident credit will be charged for EACH registered, eligible course in the Extension term for Fall, Spring, and Summer.
Graduate Assistants: download the Graduate Assistant Tuition Exemption form and review the information on the table below for filing procedure.
Employees (Faculty and Staff): download the Employee Tuition Waiver form and review the information on the following table for filing procedure.
Eligible Employee Spouse or Domestic Partners: download the Declaration of Marital Status or Domestic Partnership form and the Employee Tuition Waiver form. Submit both forms. Read the IMPORTANT WITHHOLDING OF TAXES ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE REGISTERING AND SUBMITTING THE FORMS. The Spouse/Domestic Partner Tuition Waiver is limited to University of Hawaiʻi employees in units 07, 08, 87, and 88. Review the information on the following table for filing procedure.
|UH Employee Spouse/Domestic Partner||Graduate Assistant|
|Form||Available Online: Employee Tuition Waiver form Spouse/Domestic Partner form||Available Online: Graduate Assistant Tuition Exemption form|
|Authorized Personnel to Certify Eligibility||UH Civil Service: Office of Human Resources Civil Service Employee Relations; Administrative Services Bldg 2, Mānoa Campus; (808) 956-8458 BOR appointees: Your College-designated Peresonnel Officer||Obtain certification from Department/Unit providing graduate assistantship|
|Eligibility||Current UH employees 0.50 FTE or more, in a collective bargaining unit. Student Employees are not eligible.||Graduate Assistants 0.50 FTE or more, for two consecutive semesters prior to the term applied for (i.e., prior Fall and Spring) or prior Spring and Future Fall term.|
|Eligibility for Spouse/Domestic Partner Waiver||Units 07, 08, 87, and 88 collective bargaining agreements state that an employee must be employed at least 0.50 FTE for their spouses and domestic partners to be eligible for an Employee Spouse/Domestic Partner Ttuition Waiver.||Graduate Assistants are not eligible for the Spouse/Domestic Partner Tuition Waiver.|
|Application||Please review the application criteria to determine if an application is required.||No Credit Application Form required.|
|Maximum Credits||Fall Extension: 6 credits Spring Extension: 6 credits Summer: 6 credits for the Summer and Summer Extension terms combined.||Fall Extension: No maximum Spring Extension: No maximum Summer: 6 credits for the Summer and Summer Extension terms combined.|
|Cost||$142 per Course (Admin Fee) Plus any applicable course fees. After the form is processed by the Cashierʻs Office, the Admin Fee cannot be cancelled nor payment refunded.||$142 per Course (Admin Fee) Plus any applicable course and student fees. After the form is processed by the Cashierʻs Office, the Admin Fee cannot be cancelled nor payment refunded.|
|Registration||Register online through STAR GPS (directly or via MyUH Services) during the late registration period for each course. Late registration begins on the first day of the course and ends on the last day to register, as listed on the Course Academic Calendar.|
|Submit form||Forms cannot be processed online. Submit certified forms to: Outreach College Cashier, QLCSS 105; or the UH Cashierʻs Office, QLCSS 105. Deadline: Last day of the course 50% refund (see Course Academic Calendar)|
|Approval Notification||WAIVER or EXEMPTION APPROVED Outreach College will notify student via UH email (email@example.com) of approval. Student is responsible for the Admin Fee plus fees or charges not covered by the waiver or exemption. Pay by check, cash or money order in person or by credit/debit card or echeck on MyUH. Note: Waiver or exemption will be applied to your account after the start of the course.|